Nutrition essentials are a topic of focus when we discuss proteins. It is essential to include rich sources of protein in your diet all the time. Unfortunately in India, food options are very rich in carbs, thus sacrificing proteins in the process. As a vegetarian, it is difficult to find healthy high protein vegetarian options to add to your daily meals that do not also include carbs and fats. However, there are plenty of protein rich vegetables and greens that add protein to your diet that do not contain too many carbs and add fibre and other nutrients too. Thanks to Mother Earth which produces greens which brings more high protein vegetarian foods to your diet.
Suggested read – 5 High Protein Foods That Help You Lose Fat
Here is a list of 10 delicious and nutritious high protein vegetables that you can add to your diet for greater energy levels and for vibrant health.
- Spinach: As you know spinach is popular as a “superfood”, but now you can have it knowing that they are high protein vegetables too. This protein rich vegetable is loaded with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and within that deep dark green colour is also plenty of protein. Additionally, spinach is a great source of magnesium, potassium as well as folate, and vitamins A, and C. This protein rich vegetable also has natural ingredients that help boost antioxidant defence and lessen inflammation.
- Kale: Kale is truly one of the best greens and protein rich vegetable sources for vegetarians. You can add these high protein vegetables in salads, soups or casseroles or blend it together into a smoothie knowing that you are getting protein.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is not only a protein rich vegetable but is also rich in antioxidants and minerals. You can find around 4.28 grams of protein per 1 stalk. To capitalise on a wide range of vitamins, one can cook raw broccoli as mains on the menu. Have broccoli in soups, salads or steamed it with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to get high protein vegetarian foods.
- Peas: Peas are not only one of the favourite kitchen additions but are excellent sources of protein for vegetarians. These little pods of greens are versatile – they can be added to baked foods or you can have them fresh. You can get around 8 grams of protein per cup if you boil the peas. People allergic to soy or eggs or dairy can use peas as their high protein vegetarian foods.
- Sprouts: You might have hated sprouts as a kid, but as an adult, you might find them a delicious protein rich vegetable. They are available in many varieties and can be incorporated into the diet as an addition to salads, sandwiches, and soups. Trying mixing different kinds of sprouts available.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms have a firm texture and immune-boosting properties. They can be made into a nutritious and filling main meal as a source of protein for vegetarians. They are tasty too. Cook them under a hot grill with a drizzle of olive oil. When they are almost done, top them up with some garlic and bake them a little longer.
- Chickpeas: Chickpeas are a great source of protein for vegetarians. It contains around 14.53 grams of protein per cup. They are one of the high protein vegetables that offer a range of health benefits. It helps to boost digestion, increase satiety, keep blood sugar levels stable, and more. Chickpeas are a good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. This protein rich vegetable is a great addition to many healing diets.
- Kidney beans: Kidney beans are also known as Rajmah. In actuality, beans, commonly known as “poor man’s meat,” are one of the highest plant based sources of protein for vegetarians. This high protein vegetarian food is a well known pulse used majorly in rice preparations, curries, and salads. They are a very good source of protein, dietary fibre, folate, and copper. These are a good source of manganese, phosphorus, vitamin B1, iron, potassium, and magnesium. Cook them up to serve your family high protein vegetarian foods.
- Black-eyed beans or Lobia: Lobia assists in weight loss. It is a high protein, high fibre legume and a source of protein for vegetarians. Being a rich source of protein, iron, and folate, lobia is a must in the diet of a pregnant woman. Research shows that a diet rich in black beans can help manage blood sugar and decrease cholesterol levels. Not too bad as a high protein vegetarian food.
- Soybean: Soybeans, which are also known as soya beans, are a species of legume that have become one of the most widely consumed foods in the world and one of the most popular sources of protein for vegetarians and vegans. Soybeans have a wide range of health benefits including the ability to improve metabolism, help people gain weight in a healthy way, decrease the risk of diabetes, and generally tone up the body. These high protein vegetarian foods are beneficial for human health. Soybeans have become so wildly important and popular in recent times because of the rise of soy food’s popularity, including soy milk and textured vegetable protein. Due to the high levels of protein, it is an ideal source of protein for vegetarians.
Suggested read – The Ultimate List of 10 High Protein Foods
Last modified: September 5, 2023