Yes, the food you eat has a strong influence on your vaginal taste and smell. Apart from pineapples you might have also heard a few other statements that go as follows!
Eating asparagus can make your pee smell stronger
Cinnamon can help your vagina’s sweetness increase
Celery can reduce the bitter taste of your vagina
All the statements are true.
Coming back to pineapples, one of the most well-known and enduring beliefs for vaginal health is that pineapple can make your vagina smell and taste better. So let’s investigate once and for all! Is this fact true?
Watch this reel by OZiva to learn more!
There is no official proof of what any vagina should or should not smell or taste like. All vaginas are unique and taste is subjective. However, certain elements of your lifestyle, including your food, can alter your vaginal pH. Some support the growth of healthy bacteria in the vagina, and some kill off this healthy bacteria. So eating a varied diet rich in fruits and vegetables is linked to a healthier vagina, with a ‘good vaginal taste’, and only a mild, tangy odour in the vagina.
So what does pineapple do for the vagina as one of the healthiest fruits around?
- Fermented pineapple juice can help support the growth of healthy vaginal bacteria, just like the effects of yoghurt or kombucha. This building of healthy bacteria helps prevent the vagina from taking on a strange or funky odour
- Sugary fruits like pineapple or strawberry (strong citruses) seem to heighten the sugary flavour of vaginal fluids
- Pineapples are composed of between 85 and 89 percent water. Staying hydrated is also extremely important to promote natural vaginal lubrication and the “healthy” vaginal smell. The more lubricated your vagina is, the more diluted its secretions will be. This will potentially take out some of the undesirable elements of its taste.
Interestingly, vaginas can taste different on different days and throughout different periods for women. It is likely to taste sweeter and more acidic when you are ovulating.
The point is, while you can try to sweeten your vagina, put your efforts towards making your its pH levels healthy and keeping your vagina full of healthy bacteria. Your vagina is a self-cleaning organ, but here are some more tips for keeping it squeaky clean:
- Rinse the area with water to get rid of sweat and any discharge
- Do not attempt to manipulate the vaginal environment forcibly with harsh soaps or cleansers
If you are experiencing a vaginal odour that is fishy and pungent, one of the problems could be abnormal vaginal discharge. This fishy or unpleasant odour could be due to a lack of healthy nutrients for your vagina. If you are facing abnormal vaginal discharge, speak to your gynaecologist.
But How About A Natural Solution for the Vagina?
Another preventative natural solution for vaginal health is OZiva HerComfort. OZiva HerComfort is designed to soothe women’s intimate health issues like abnormal vaginal discharge and discomfort in the vaginal areas.
It contains extracts of Fennel Seed, Licorice Root and Neem to fight against vaginal irritation, infection and discharge. It soothes and heals the skin around the vagina and surrounding outer vaginal area.
Read one more vaginal myth here.