Looking for the best protein powder for men for muscle building, faster and better workout recovery? Learn more on why OZiva Protein & Herbs for Men should be your pick!
Are you looking to build muscle, enjoy longer workouts or just to remain fitter? You begin your journey by taking a good hard look at your diet. While there are three major macronutrients (carbohydrates, fats and protein), it is protein that is the real building block of your muscles.
A common recommendation is that an adult male looking to gain muscle needs to consume 1.6 grams of protein per kg of body weight. It is a struggle to get this amount of protein from your diet. As an addition, you can rely on a good protein powder for men to make up the difference.
While there are many protein powders for men available on the market, you should go for the best one after rigorous research. Here’s how we judge a good protein powder for men and why OZiva Protein & Herbs is the best protein powder for men in India, all things considered!
What are the types and uses for protein powders for men?
Whey protein is one of the most commonly used protein powders and is the best for day-to-day use for a variety of needs, including being the best protein for muscle gain, increasing muscle strength, and losing amounts of body fat in favour of muscle.
Whey protein contains all of the nine essential amino acids required for the body to function properly making it a “complete” protein, known as Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs). Some of these amino acids can be generated by our body, but the rest have to be added.
Whey protein powder for men is popular amongst bodybuilders, athletes, fitness models, and people looking to improve their performance in the gym.
Whey protein can combine to create a range of delicious flavoured protein powders for men, such as in cafe mocha, chocolate, vanilla and mango, and is versatile. You can add it to protein shakes, to your meal replacement options and desserts.
What are the types of whey protein powder for men?
There a few types of whey proteins, with the main difference being the way that they have been processed:
- Concentrate – Whey protein concentrate contains around 70-80% protein, and has the best flavour
- Isolate – Around 90% pure protein, whey protein isolate contains less fat, but also lacks the benefits of the extra nutrients found in whey protein concentrate
- Hydrolyzed – This type of whey protein has been pre-digested and gets very easily absorbed into the body.
While all three have their benefits and drawbacks, whey protein concentrate overall seems the best option. However, whey protein isolate also is a great option for a low-carb diet as this allows the protein to be easily absorbed into the body. The ideal conclusion is that a combination of whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate is the perfect protein powder for men, allowing for the benefits of both.
What does whey protein powder for men do for the body?
Whey protein powder is one of the most popular supplements for increasing muscle mass and strength.
- Leucine – Whey protein powder is high in the amino acid leucine, which helps stimulate muscle protein synthesis on a molecular level
- Fast absorption – The body absorbs and utilises whey protein very quickly as compared to other types of protein
- Building Blocks – Whey protein provides essential amino acids, which serves as building blocks for increased muscle growth throughout the body.
Consuming whey protein before, during or after your workout, as the muscle protein synthesis is the best during this period. Here are some of the other whey protein benefits for the body:
- Muscle Gains – Whey protein is vital for the growth and maintenance of tissues. Your body requires a certain amount of protein daily, and not meeting that requirement can lead to severe muscle loss, especially after you turn 25. You can take whey protein powder for men to help with your muscle gains, growth and to increase your overall muscle size. Consume your protein powder for men in the form of delicious protein shakes around 60 minutes post-workout. This is known as the anabolic window and protein easily gets absorbed into the body here. Whey protein powder for men has high BCAAs that support faster muscle recovery and prevent the fatigue that crops up post-workout.
- Manage and Maintain a Healthy Weight– If your health goal is to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight, then you should always work protein or protein powder into a diet plan. Protein-rich diets keep you fuller for longer. A protein powder is capable of giving you a feeling of satiation, also known as fullness. It helps prevent irregular food cravings (especially of junk food) and reduces your overall calorie intake (as you eat less). Include a protein powder in your diet as a post-workout shake or healthy snack to ensure fat-burning.
- Healthy Metabolism – Protein has a high thermic effect on the body. That means when you take protein regularly through a protein powder, you burn more calories round the clock, even when you sleep. Protein can increase your calories burned by around 80 to 100 everyday, which means it boosts your metabolism as well. Take your protein powder with your high-protein diet for a metabolic advantage over other diets.
- Improving Immunity and Digestion – Protein powder helps break down the protein in your body and encourages better digestion. Protein also helps build strong antibodies that are skilled in fighting pathogens and infections. It helps synthesise immune cells like lymphocytes.
Protein supplements are truly beneficial for everyone. That’s why there are 100 protein powder brands on the market. So how do you choose the best protein powder for yourself based on your needs and tastes? There are many factors to consider, but here are a few indicators to keep in mind of what makes the best protein powder in general:
- It should contain high amounts of Branched-Chain Amino Acids (also called BCAAs). These BCAAs will help you build muscle and contribute to a “complete” protein (even if the powder is a whey protein powder or a plant protein powder)
- It should be free of any toxins and artificial chemicals that could damage your body in the long run. It should be 100% safe for consumption by people for extended periods of time.
- It should not contain any processed sugar or artificial sweeteners. Both cause insulin spikes and can lead to weight gain, as well as increasing the risk of diabetes in the long run.
- It should be easily digestible within the body to allow the protein to break down and be used by the body (or it should be made with additional herbs that make it easy to digest or even contain probiotic bacteria that promote easier digestion).
- The protein powder should contain other compounds that provide additional benefits to the body (like skin and hair health, or muscle recovery)
Another important factor to make your choice is your health goals. Let’s look at a few options of protein powder based on your health goals as well:
- As we mentioned earlier, your protein requirement increases with your workout intensity. If you are an athlete or an active person like a bodybuilder, choose the supplement with the highest protein content. A supplement with whey protein powder might be good for you both as a man and a woman, for high contents of amino acids.
- Both whey protein isolate and hydrolyzed whey protein support lean mass and muscle gain, while whey protein concentrate contributes to weight management. Choosing a protein powder with both might be beneficial, such as the OZiva protein powder (OZiva Proteins & Herbs for Men)
- If you are generally inactive or do not have much physical activity, then choose a protein shake designed for general daily protein intake (can be with both plant protein or whey protein)
- In case you are lactose-intolerant, then go for plant protein powder in general. Do not take the risk with whey protein.
- As a regular athlete or long-distance runner, going for plant protein powder is a good choice to improve your performance, endurance and muscle recovery, especially if the product has clinically and scientifically proven actives for better results (such as OZiva Bioactive Plant Protein, which contains 25g vegan protein, 5.5 BCAAs and ensures 30% Better Muscle Recovery and 59% Faster Protein Absorption).
Is protein powder for men safe to consume?
A good-quality protein should not have any side effects and will be safe to consume for a period of 3-6 months. Ensure that the product is soy-free, gluten-free and does not contain any added sugar or artificial preservatives. The “cleaner” (or more free from any contaminants) your protein powder for men is, the better it is for you. For example, OZiva protein powder for men is Certified Clean by the US-Based CLP (meaning tested and cleared for over 300 contaminants in parts per billion). If you have any medical conditions, do not consume your protein powder for men without consulting a doctor. Ensure while taking your protein that you stick to your daily recommended amount to avoid issues like bloating and nausea. Otherwise, your protein supplement will be 100% safe to consume in the long run.
Is it okay to have protein powder for men everyday?
Yes, you can safely consume protein powders for men like OZiva Protein & Herbs for Men every day. However, also ensure that you get other protein from whole food sources as well so you don’t miss out on other important nutrients.
Is it okay to take protein powder for men without working out?
Yes, you can take your protein powder for men on a rest day, or a day that you are working out less than you normally do. There is no need to worry about adverse effects.
Last modified: January 7, 2023